UK Assistant Financial Controller
£65000 - £68000 + bonus + benefits
They are a medium sized Commercial General Insurance business and part of a global insurance group. They have a strong employee culture and nurture development and internal career progression. They have a role which has occurred due to internal promotion.
Reporting to the UK Finance Director, the role is to supports the delivery of and communication of Management Information to Group requirements. You will also maintain a a robust control environment as well as participating in a review and improvement of key processes as well as project initiatives. The role will report timely and accurate information to regulators and tax authorities. To perform the role effectively you will acquire a detailed knowledge of all technical and non-technical MI and control processes regarding source data, process, and reconciliation and reporting within the company. Communication and relationship building and maintenance is essential with all teams who provide data input to the MI and control process.. Responsibilities include:
- Plan and produce within Group reporting timescales high quality legal entity Management Information. This includes business line income statement results, fully reconciled balance sheet and associated review file procedures and contribute to quarterly CFO report. You will also plan and manage the period end reporting timetable to ensure there is sufficient time and supporting data for senior management review.
- Book technical transactions using standard foreign currency conversion procedures. Be able to deliver analysis and explanation of results as they are affected by foreign currency changes.
- Produce all intercompany reconciliations and calculate intercompany reinsurance transactions.
- Ongoing maintenance of a robust control environment for production of MI including up to date and accurate use of GL and documentation of key technical and non-technical MI processes.
- Manage the use of Earnings Engine, a bespoke system used for calculating, recording and booking technical transactions on a GAAP basis.
- Work closely with the Treasury team regarding accurate booking of cash transactions. Monitor operating cash balances and be able to produce high level cash flow analyses.
- Produce annual (and more frequently as required) fully compliant UK GAAP statements for both the business.
- Participate in the planning for adoption of new UK GAAP for 2015 and also contribute to adoption of Solvency II regulatory environment and reporting.
- Produce tax, regulatory and audit (external and internal) information to required timescales in conjunction with relevant teams.
Who They Are Looking For
They are looking for the following person:
- Qualified accountant with at least 5 years solid background with a London based commercial general insurance company and progressive experience
- Genuine hands-on experience of using a big company GL system as part of the core job rather than just reviewing at a Head Office.
- Post qualification experience of reporting technical P&L and Balance Sheet statement experience within a corporate group reporting process. Rather than Investments Expenses and Cost Allocations. Experience of using bulk source data into GL processes
- Experience of producing UK GAAP accounts for a UK general insurance company and producing data for tax and regulatory reporting.
- Good Excel - Macros not required
- Driven and motivated with a keen interest to learn
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build effective working relationships.