Manager - Operations - Fund Services
Financial Reporting & Fund Accounting
£50,000 - £65,000 + Bonus + Benefits
Global asset management firm with a strong reputation and recognised as a market leader within the mutual fund industry. They are now looking to hire a qualified accountant within the team with a principal focus on the supervision of financial reporting, as well as fund accounting oversight and participation in regulatory, client and product change management initiatives. The role has strong oversight content, with a mix of technical hands on accounting as well as analytical commentary. Fifty percent of the role will be financial reporting orientated and there is a strong mix including fund accounting/valuations, projects and change management
The position reports to the Director of Operations of EMEA Fund Services team, part of Investments' Global Operations organisation. The Fund Services team is responsible for providing the infrastructure for collective investment schemes and client portfolios, including oversight of accounting, administration and custody services. The role requires strong technical ability, with a financial accounting qualification, and allows for a high degree of flexibility in managing workload priorities. You will liaise and interact with different internal departments including global operations, investment division, compliance, risk and legal. Fund board directors In London you will be working in a team of 10 people. The company is a large global group and has a degree of complexity which is very interesting. Although this role has no direct staff management responsibility, you will be expected to help in the supervision of the team, and interaction with many other areas of the business. The role includes the following:
- Financial Reporting: Responsible for overseeing the financial reporting and audit process of the fund complexes, principally domiciled in Ireland. Dealing with different stakeholders, fund administrators, fund custodian, audit partners and the fund companies' audit committees to ensure fund audits run smoothly, resolving any audit issues and finally delivering the financial report and accounts for fund directors' approval. This role requires an experienced level of knowledge of financial reporting and the audit process. It acts as a key co-ordinator between the company and external service providers.
- Fund Accounting - fund expenses and taxation: Advising and overseeing the fund administrator and other parties in areas of fund costs and expenses. This requires a good fund accounting knowledge including an understanding of fund charges and expense accruals. There is the need to perform oversight of, and analysis on, expenses posted to the funds, in order to manage to agreed fee budgets. Liaison with tax advisors and agents to oversee and monitor the tax position of funds and investors, as applicable. Activities will range from reviewing calculations for tax filings to participating in discussion on tax risks including withholding tax, capital gains tax or other usual fund related tax issues.
- Fund Accounting - valuation: Working with the funds' administrators and the Valuation Committee to set and oversee asset pricing and portfolio valuation policies and procedures. This involves performing monitoring reviews on securities being priced by the administrator, using market data providers and other sources. A good knowledge of pricing methodologies and related issues, especially with regards to the treatment of exceptional items including hard-to-price securities.
- Business Management: This is a senior position within the EMEA Fund Services team which will involve participation in the day- to-day and strategic management of the team. This includes assisting the Director, Operations in setting objectives and priorities, producing management information reports and representing the team at governance and business There will be opportunities to participate in, and to lead, change management initiatives which may include regulatory developments, product implementation and process improvement projects.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
To be considered for this role, you must meet the following criteria
- A qualified accountant with 3-5 years financial services industry experience, preferably in an investment management fund accounting or fund financial reporting role or an audit role within an audit firm;
- Strong ability to prepare financial reports and accounts, presenting to audit committee or board level;
- Staff supervision, including monitoring
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal to deal with different stakeholders, external and internal parties;
- Organised, analytical with thorough attention to detail;
- Flexible approach to balancing workload and priorities and able to prioritise;
- Ability to manage internal client expectations and vendor service delivery on a day-to-day