Operations Control Manager
£90000 - £110000 + Bonus + Benefits
Cameron Kennedy is delighted to be partnering with a growing, mid-size investment bank providing a wide range of investment banking services including, equity research, corporate finance, ECM, market making and trading. They have 160 employees. They are now seeking to recruit an ambitious individual into a new role within the Operations function which reports to the Head of Operations. The Operations control function has three main functions: to independently oversee the other functions within Operations (from settlements to trade reporting to client assets) to ensure that they are operating effectively, in a well-controlled and timely manner ; to support the other functions in executing change management in a more defined and structured way, that maximises the likelihood of success when implementing major changes to systems, processes and people ; to provide technical expertise and guidance on matters relating to e.g. CSDR, CASS, Transaction Reporting etc. The position has one direct report and effectively acts as the number two to the Head of Operations.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED
- Ten-plus years' experience working in the financial services industry including market making/broking and or investment banking
- Six-plus years' experience working with or within an Operations function
- Good understanding of risk management and risk-based approach to internal control
- Strong analytical skills with close attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), with the ability to build strong working relationships and the confidence and capability to influence and challenge people across the firm
- Change management skills and proactive in taking responsibility and ownership of projects and actions
- Self-motivated and highly organized, with the ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously whilst maintaining the highest levels of quality and meeting tight deadlines
The following are desired skills and/or experience:
- Experienced in leading and motivating a small team
- Knowledge of the major financial services regulations impacting on Operations (e.g. CSDR, CASS, Transaction Reporting)
- Highly proficient in use of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
Strategy and Budget
- Assist the Head of Operations in developing and implementing the Operations departmental strategy and monitoring the department's costs.
Policies and Governance
- Review departmental policies and procedures.
- Participate in relevant governance meetings
- Assist the department managers in executing change management, in a more structured, controlled and effective manner. With an emphasis on developing various settlement and static data systems and workflow management tools.
- Liaise with the Chief Technology Officer to prioritise any systems development work required
- Assist the Head of Operations and all operations department managers in reviewing and ensuring that there are adequate systems and controls in place to manage all relevant risks.
- Ensure that the Operations Controller monitors, on a daily basis, the operation of controls over fails management, cash and stock reconciliations.
- Review the accuracy, adequacy and effectiveness of the Transaction Reporting tools, reconciliations and other controls being operated by - and the reports being generated by - the Operations department
- Keep up-to-date with the latest Transaction Reporting requirements and regulations and assist in the update of the Transaction Reporting Policy and Transaction Reporting User Pack (TRUP)
- Support the Head of Operations in fulfilling his duty of providing oversight (as CF10a) of the operational effectiveness of the firm's systems and controls in relation to compliance with the Client Assets Rules (CASS)
- Assist in the review and update of the Client Assets Policies, Procedures and Rule Mapping.
- Facilitate the Annual Risk and Control Self-Assessments and ensure identified actions are implemented.
- Keep abreast of regulatory changes and emerging risks and issues
- Attend and present Operational risk management information to the relevant governance body.
- Review operational risk event forms to check that the proposed remedial actions are suitable and adequate to address the root causes of the errors identified.
- Engage with Internal Audit and External Audit: planning and managing audits, agreeing on findings and suitable recommendations, and ensuring that agreed actions are implemented fully and on a timely basis
- Supervise and coach the Operations Controller
- Assist in the training of other Operations department staff in relation to the CASS Rules and Transaction Reporting regulations