Senior Fund of Funds Research Analyst
£75000 - £90000 + Bonus + Benefits
Who They Are
They are a highly respected investment company with a strong reputation for delivery of high quality investment research particularly on equity funds to their clients and have achieved excellent results over the years.
The emphasis of this role is on identifying, researching and analysing high calibre Equity Fund Managers across different regions in order to recommend to the firm's clients. The role reports to the Head of Fund Manager Research and indirectly to the CIO but with strong liaison with the other research analysts. You will provide analytical support to the research team by quantitative and qualitatively analysing portfolios, enhancing and developing research tools, procedures, and initiatives. You will generate and maintain a short list of managers across equity asset classes in line with the firm's investment philosophy. The role includes the following:
- Understanding fully the bottom-up, value, long-term, fundamental analysis investment driven philosophy and requirements to fully appreciate the barriers a new investment manager has to overcome to make its way onto the short-list of recommended managers.
- Seek out and research any potential sources of new managers in order to generate new leads including 'dig-deep' analysis at stock level. This will include constructing and maintaining a network of relevant contacts within the investment industry as a basis for high quality referrals and primary research, as well as on going monitoring of research information sources.
- Drive the due diligence on identified managers and consistently apply and adhere to the prescribed manager research process. This will include gathering qualitative and quantitative data, including operational compliance due diligence, performing detailed portfolio analysis of portfolios, assessing the consistency with the manager's investment approach, preparing and presenting investment research/meeting papers prior to manager research meetings, attending research meetings, etc. and attending meetings with managers.
- Accurately document and record all aspects of the due diligence process according to the firm's requirements, and deliver high quality dossiers for short listed managers in line with review standards and document decisions relating to why managers have been short-listed and why they have rejected.
- Actively and efficiently liaise with investment manager analysts on portfolio analytics and overall supporting research activities as well as with client consultants and clients in relation to the investing requirements with the client consulting agreement.
- Prepare recommendations to the Investment Committee for addition to the short list.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
To be considered for this role, you must not be heavily macro, volatility, risk, hedge fund based but meet the following criteria: :
- Have a 2:1 at degree level or equivalent with a CFA qualification or minimum level 2 CFA;
- High calibre academics (Finance / investment related preferable) with knowledge of security analysis, equity related instruments and portfolio theory/performance attribution;
- Minimum 5 years' relevant experience in a related role is a requirement (i.e. manager research, portfolio analysis, manager due diligence, equity research) with qualitative and quantitative analysis;
- Previous work experience must demonstrate bottom-up, value, long-term, fundamental analysis preference for fundamentally-driven managers; (If you have working experience in fundamental company analysis that would also be a plus;
- Experienced with manager research/ portfolio analysis, has worked on manager due diligence, held manager meetings;
- Excellent literacy and writing skills are required;
- Strong understanding of fundamental investment ratios/statistics/analytics e.g. P/E, P/B, ROE, DCF, liquidity analysis;
- An understanding of investment styles, their nuances and how they mix in a multi-manager package would be a plus;
- Working experience of Factset and Bloomberg would be preferable;
- High degree of computer literacy, and strong Excel skills;
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and use initiative;
- Flexibility regarding travel